Friday, August 26, 2011

Strength In Perseverance



I took up training for a half-marathon about a month ago. I have never run in my entire life except during P.E. in middle school (we all know that isn’t really running). My husband was so proud of me that he bought me a book and all the running gear I could possibly need to succeed. Even having everything, all the gear, knowledge and desire it all comes down to perseverance at 6:00 a.m. on cold, overcast mornings on deserted streets.

I can relate running to my walk with God. I may spend hours reading, praying, fasting and teaching but there are times when my faith and my body grows weak. There are times when I don’t feel like waking up early every morning to spend time with God or I may not feel like teaching a class. It all comes down to sheer perseverance to follow the command Jesus gave us.

“If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.” Luke 9:23-24

Perseverance has to come from the right place in order for our lives to make a difference in the Kingdom of God. Our strength comes from God alone. Relying on Him to sustain us, equip up and use us. What are areas in your walk with God that require perseverance?

So many times in life we have the right intentions, the right goals and the motivation to start them. However, what matters most is consistency and follow-through. Think back over the last few months, even years of promises that you have made to God, yourself and others that you have never finished. You don’t have to wait any longer. It doesn’t matter how long it has been.

Be a person who says “yes” to God. Be someone that others can count on to always finish what you start. Stay committed and stay focused on the goal. Your most important commitment is to the Lord. Give Him the first fruits of your day, money, talents and life. I promise you will never be disappointed.

Even when it is hard remember this:

“God has said, ‘never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.’” Hebrews 13:5-6

1 comment: